Monday, April 14, 2008

The Hunted by Elmore Leonard


Obviously this isn't the cover of the book, but isn't it a cool picture?
I guess after not finishing a book in the entire month of March, probably a first in my reading life, I'm revisiting some old reliables (each of which I started reading at some point last month -- I have a couple others in the works, too). I think I picked this Elmore Leonard up at a library sale a year ago, but someone in my family probably actually gave/loaned it to me.
I think it is better than the Amazon reviews the title links to give it credit for: how much complexity can you expect in what's basically a blown-up short-story? That's all any paperback original like this really was back in the late 70's when he wrote it. Leonard may have been ham-handed with the Rosen character, but I think he was trying for more than what these guys are crediting him for.
Oh, I'm all adrift here, and not saying anything about the story. Rosen is in Israel, hidden from some hoods he testified against. They find out where he is the same time that his corporate lawyer arrives because his company partners are squeezing him out of his business. So there's murder attempts and $200,000 in play, and a Marine about to muster out gets into the mix. Action and suspense. If you like Leonard it's a couple easy hours so I have to say *** and I don't mind doing it.

No comments: