Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Brothers Bulger by Howie Carr


Meg listens to Howie most every afternoon, bought this book for her parents, borrowed it back, then I let the book languish on my "to be read pile," first before starting it, then for another couple of months after I got half done. That doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, does it? But the book was decent. There's probably some tipping point of knowing stuff about Boston at which the book would become too much of a rehash, but it must be pretty high. I got into recognizing names and places and events that I'd only vaguely noticed back in the 80's and 90's. The insight into Massachusetts's institutional corruption is amazing. I'll call it *** because the prose is pedestrian, and you'd have to care about that history and corruption to want to read it.

No comments: