Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Los Alamos by Joseph Kanon


Los Alamos is a murder mystery set at the title location during the run up to the Trinity test. The cover blurbs make it sound better than I found it, but it was still very readable. I'm trying to recall the title of another WWII detective story I read recently; I think it was The Deadly Embrace. That book was set in London during the blitz, and featured a female protagonist. I remember it as more engrossing than this book, but maybe that's taste.
There's an element of James M. Cain to the obsessive love story that's woven in. The history is, as far as I can tell, meticulously researched (and I read a nonfiction about Los Alamos only about 18 months ago). Apparently Kanon's next book, The Prodigal Spy, is set in the McCarthy era and the 60's. I liked this one well enough to look for that one and hope it is just a little better. ***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.