Thursday, April 5, 2007

Dick Francis Under Orders


I started reading Dick Francis in early 1980 with Whip Hand and went through a short time period when it was one Dick Francis and one quart of Miller every day. I discovered back then that you don't have to know or care about horse racing to enjoy a Dick Francis book.
Since then I've eagerly awaited his annual effort. A few years ago I heard his wife died and he decided to stop writing. This book gives credit to his son for getting him to write it. It isn't quite as good as his best, but it is still very good, and I'm happy that he returned to Sid Halley, the former jockey of Whip Hand.
Dick Francis's very best transcend the genre, based on that high standard, this book is only ***, but compared to the competition ****
Click on the post title to read reviews at Amazon.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

You also don't have to drink Miller or any other kind of alcohol to enjoy Dick Francis's books.